Gum recession commonly occurs with Phoenix residents who brush too hard, grind their teeth, or lost tissue attachment because of past gum disease. This condition exposes the roots of your teeth, which both looks unappealing and also causes temperature sensitivity. Recession also places you at a greater risk of tooth decay.
Traditional gum restoration treatment includes removing tissue from the roof of your mouth and transplanting it to the recessed area. This process is very invasive and the recovery is long.
Luckily, there’s a new and easy, non-invasive procedure known as pinhole gum rejuvenation that restores areas of gum recession quickly and with minimal discomfort and recovery.
What Takes Place During Pinhole Gum Treatment?
During the pinhole procedure, our Phoenix dentist will create a very small pinhole-sized opening in the gum, then use a special instrument to loosen and stretch the tissue over the recessed area. Once the gum tissue is in the desired position, our dentist will insert collagen strips through the pinhole into the base of the stretched gum. These strips keep the gums in place and help create new tissue attachment.
Advantages of Pinhole Gum Treatment
Manipulating the existing tissue with pinhole gum rejuvenation is by far a better option than the traditional method of restoring gum tissue. With this non-invasive treatment you’ll benefit from the following:
- No scalpels and no grafting: With pinhole gum treatment there’s no cutting and transplanting of gum tissue involved.
- No Sutures: Pinhole gum treatment doesn’t require any stitches because the only opening we need to make is a very small hole in the gingival tissue.
- Minimal Bleeding: Any bleeding that you may experience will likely cease before you even leave the dental office.
- Quick Recovery Time: Since the hole that we make is very small, it typically closes up on its own within a couple of days. If you experience any swelling or soreness, you can place a cold compress over the area.
- Minimal Discomfort After Treatment: After the procedure, you will have only have a mild amount of discomfort. Over-the-counter pain medication should be all that you need to relieve any soreness 一 and warm salt water rinses will soothe and heal the area faster. You may begin to brush and floss that space when it’s comfortable for you. To prevent discomfort, you should avoid eating crunchy food for a few days.
- Instant Results: No more waiting for weeks to see the final outcome. Pinhole gum treatment results are instant.
- Low Risk of Complications: Since there’s no cutting, grafting, or excessive bleeding, this treatment is at very low risk of complications.
- Excellent Results: The final appearance of the gum tissue will look quite healthy and natural because it’s the tissue that originated in that area (and wasn’t grafted from somewhere else.)
Pinhole Gum Treatment In Phoenix
To experience the positive difference in gum rejuvenation treatment, visit Dr. Babak Behbahani and the great team at Central Valley Dentistry in Phoenix. We look forward to helping you enjoy a better, healthier smile.